Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Select a small number of urls to compare

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Basically I am trying to look at a small number of specific urls and compare their performance. The urls are all different. I can see how you look at ALL urls and I can see how you search for similar urls but I don't see how I can add a few rows of individual urls.
I am in Behaviour - Site Content - All Pages

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Select a small number of urls to compare

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Gavin you would need to create a custom segment so that you can enter multiple URLs and use the OR to connect them, if you try to use Advanced Filtering it only allows for the AND connector so the session would have to include all pages before it would show.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for getting back to me Brian. I'll give it a try.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gavin

You can use regex in the advance filter and using pipe (I) in the regex will work as an OR condition for your multiple URLs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, I went into the Custom Segment section. In the conditions section I chose 'page' from the 'Behaviour' category. I then chose 'exactly matches' and chose a url. I then clicked on 'OR' to add another one. After I saved it and ran the report I got hundreds of urls. In that case I only wanted to see 2. I then deleted one of the lines to only look at one url and then I similarly got loads of urls. Please tell what I am doing wrong. Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Gavin you are getting additional pages because you are looking at the entire sessions traffic that include the URL that you entered. If you are not interested in the additional pages you can add an exclude filter to your segment to remove those pages or you can follow Syed H's advice above to use an advance filter choose matches regex and use the pipe (|) to seperate the URLs that you enter.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Brian. OK, with the help of YouTube I managed to create a regexp that showed me what I was looking for. However, I couldn't repeat the trick in the segments section. Can I save the regex results as a report so I don't have to painstakingly create the expression every time? I am literally stunned at how hard this is. It seems that this is one of the first things you would build into an analytics tool (or maybe I'm crazy).

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Gavin,

You can use the 'Shortcut' button (above segment) on the top nav to save the regex configuration and then it'll be saved in Shortcuts > Report name.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Syed, that's great. Well it's not great that you have to use 'regular expressions' (something I'd never heard of until you mentioned it) but it is great that you helped me. Now all I need to do is prepare a rant at Google!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

pleasure Gavin.