Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segments - Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I have an event action set up to track how many times PDF's are clicked/viewed/downloaded on our website which is working fine.

However I've tried a segment to see how many users go to a specific page then to a specific PDF and the results are higher than the individual event action of how many times this PDF has been clicked/viewed/downloaded which can't be right. The segment is set up as follows:

Step one: Page-exactly matches-'page name'

Is immediately followed by:

Step two: Event action-contains-'individual pdf name'

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karl B
June 2017

Segments - Question

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Karl, 

#1 - Check to see if data sampling is being applied. Sampling can be triggered by creating 'ad-hoc' reports (reports not pre-prepared). Like adding a secondary dimension, adding a segment or filter, or creating a custom report with many dimensions. 

If you see This report is baed on X% of sessions. Then the difference is probably result of data sampling. 

Is there is not this message then it could simply be that your behaviour flow report is not catching all of your conversions because for whatever reason they took a different approach.

Does this help?  

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Segments - Question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Karl, 

#1 Using the behaviour flow report and then selecting the page you want to review should solve you problem without having to create a segment. 

#2 If you want to use a segment make sure dimension you're selecting is the right one. Are you selecting 'page' dimension or another one? Have you select 'event action' as the other dimension? Are you sure you properly inserted the names/urls? Have you tried using 'contains' instead of 'exactly matches'? 

Let me know how it goes. 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor

Segments - Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua

Sorry for the slow reply been on leave (lucky me)

I've created a segment of Page name to event action and it seemed to work on behaviour flow.

I've used the same segment on audience overview and the segment has worked but gave me a slighty different number any reason for this?

Event action is Link of a PDF (so when this PDF link has been clicked this event tracks it)- by itself its telling me Total events 116 Unique events 110

Behaviour flow report with the segment Step one Page exactly matches ..... then immediately followed by Step 2 Event action exactly matches..... gives me the result of 102 users and 103 sessions in the summary which is less than the above which is good. However if I run the same segment on Audience overview the results are 106 users and 107 sessions why are these totals different?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karl B
June 2017

Segments - Question

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Karl, 

#1 - Check to see if data sampling is being applied. Sampling can be triggered by creating 'ad-hoc' reports (reports not pre-prepared). Like adding a secondary dimension, adding a segment or filter, or creating a custom report with many dimensions. 

If you see This report is baed on X% of sessions. Then the difference is probably result of data sampling. 

Is there is not this message then it could simply be that your behaviour flow report is not catching all of your conversions because for whatever reason they took a different approach.

Does this help?  

Joshua, Top Contributor

Segments - Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Perfect thank you