Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segmenting Subdomain Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client sells SAAS, and the login for their existing customers is on a subdomain (app.website.com).

For marketing reporting purposes, we need to filter out subdomain traffic from the GA reporting view because we're more concerned with reporting on potential new leads rather than existing customers.

I don't want to purely use Analytics filters, because I need to use this reporting view to see historical data with this particular subdomain traffic removed.

My first thought was to create a custom segment. I tried creating Advanced --> Conditions --> Exclude --> Hostname, but it doesn't seem to work. Are segments the best way to do this, and does anybody have any suggestions as to how to accomplish this?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Michael.

Fitler Advanced --> Conditions --> Exclude --> Hostname would exclude any sessions/users that had visited app.website.com. What exactly doesn't work for you with this filter?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response. The filter doesn't work for me in this instance, because I need to review historical traffic data.

The filter will work for data going forward, but I am compiling a report based on data from the past year.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

In this case view filters do not help you indeed. But you can use a custom segment with this condition. You wrote that it didn't work for you. What was the problem with segment?