Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segment (tool) and GTM tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I am tracking my events with Segment and channel them through to GTM. I am not sure if I really track all  GA tracking with my Segment snippet and would like to also insert the GTM snippet on my pages. Just to be sure. Would that lead to "double-counts" of my events, users, etc in GA? Or would GA realize it receives the same information twice?

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Segment (tool) and GTM tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

just to clarify:
You are now using GTM and there is a tag that sends information to Segment.
You would like to add a tag that sends information to GA.
Is this correct?

If yes I don't see the overlap, if no please elaborate.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Antti,

No, I am collecting all data into segment and then send it to GTM, whereas GTM will then further send that information on to GA.
Now, if I would add the GTM snippet into the HTML Head this would then send information to GA too. Hence, would I get the segment tracks and the GTM tracks in GA, or will GA know that these are the same tracked events and only display 1?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

still bit unclear about the set-up but most likely you will end up double reporting.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, thanks