Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segment setup and percent they're reporting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site currently has a directory structure set up by 3 product lines. Such as:

domain.com/red

domain.com/yellow

domain.com/green

So I want to set up segments for each "color" so that I can report on traffic, sessions, goals, conversions, etc. by color.  I created a segment for each, but I don't think it's working correctly.  I created the segment by setting the Advanced Condition of Page - Starts with - /red, then one for yellow and one for green.  Should this work?

When I apply the segments to the audience and behavior reports, I'm getting combined percentages that equal more than 100% (red=59.3%, yellow=40%,green=6.4%).  Should these not equal 100% (or less)?

Thanks much!

Kip

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Kip O,

If a user can migrate from domain.com/red to domain.com/yellow in same session then

that user will get counted in both red as well as yellow segments. That will result in the total >100%

Maybe you can use content grouping to group the red pages, yellow pages,etc to know the sessions, time on page, pageviews on those group of pages.
Check :http://cutroni.com/blog/2014/01/09/set-google-analytics-content-grouping/

Thanks,
Ritwik 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into grouping today.  As far as the segment goes, thank you for the explanation about total being > 100%.  It still confuses me that when looking at page views and applying the 3 segments, the total page views (not %) is less than the page views for each of the 3 segments combined.