Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segment only for Product Category shows other categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wanted to look for a specific product category, and i create a new segment only for that.

From new segment > Conditions> Sessions. Product Category > exactly matches > Office

However this segment also shows other product categories. Why is that? here i send you the screenshot as well.Product_Performance_-_Analytics.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Serdar U
May 2017

Re: Segment only for Product Category shows other categories

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

ok - it's due to the logic of your second segment that you see strange results. For example: I have two segments:

1. Called: #include officeScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.27.14.png

2. Called #include office, AND exclude drinkwareScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.29.52.pngUsing these segments in the same reports has, as you have observed, a counter-intuitive result - they give the same numbers!Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.31.41.pngWierdly - the two segments give the same numbers!

Rather than trying to mash the two rules together you need to add the second rule separately, which is applied to the results of the first.

This looks like this:Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.39.44.png

Compare this segment with the previous two:Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.41.27.pngNow we can see that our 3rd segment excludes drinkware alltogether.

Here's the report, where I've removed the other segments and expanded the segment to include almost all the other categories:Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.46.15.png

Which gives me data like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.47.06.pngThis is the revenue from those remaining sessions which did not include the other product categories (I've been a bit lazy and not included all of them...)

I hope this makes sense!

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

A segment works at the session level. i.e. it matches those sessions which contain, in this case, the product category you have selected. However, all the other activity in those sessions is reported as well.

For example:

session 1: includes a transaction which has products from office, apparel and drinkware

session 2: includes a transaction of an office product

session 3: includes a transaction which has products from drinkware and apparel

session 4: includes two transactions, one which includes drinkware and one which includes office.

Sessions 1, 2 and 4 match your segment (i.e they all contain office) and will appear in your reports. All the data from sessions 1, 2 and 4 will appear in your reports including the other product categories. Session 3 will not appear, as this does not match your segment.

To view the performance of your various categories, you'd probably be better off creating a custom report which has your  desired product category as a filter.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for answer, but even i add a condition like AND not one of Apparel , that category shows in report. Why is that? s.jpg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Serdar U
May 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

ok - it's due to the logic of your second segment that you see strange results. For example: I have two segments:

1. Called: #include officeScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.27.14.png

2. Called #include office, AND exclude drinkwareScreen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.29.52.pngUsing these segments in the same reports has, as you have observed, a counter-intuitive result - they give the same numbers!Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.31.41.pngWierdly - the two segments give the same numbers!

Rather than trying to mash the two rules together you need to add the second rule separately, which is applied to the results of the first.

This looks like this:Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.39.44.png

Compare this segment with the previous two:Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.41.27.pngNow we can see that our 3rd segment excludes drinkware alltogether.

Here's the report, where I've removed the other segments and expanded the segment to include almost all the other categories:Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.46.15.png

Which gives me data like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.47.06.pngThis is the revenue from those remaining sessions which did not include the other product categories (I've been a bit lazy and not included all of them...)

I hope this makes sense!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Whats important to remember is that these segments are telling you: "what is the value of transactions where only office products are purchased". It is not telling you the total revenue from all office products, that information can be obtained from the product peformance>product category report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for great answer John. Now everything make sense.