Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segment for Facebook Traffic Only shows a referral source that is not from Facebook

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

Today I'm doing some reporting on how many people get to our website via Facebook. 

To narrow this down, I created a segment for Facebook Traffic. The sole parameter is "Source contains facebook." This is so it includes sources like l.facebook.com, m.facebook.com, etc. 

However, in my latest report, there was one source that came up that I'm not so sure is from Facebook. The source is another website that my company runs, called lasertherapyu.org.

In this photo you'll see what I mean at number 7, the source / medium says "lasertherapyu.org / referral."fb traffic ga.JPG 

My question is, why does this referral show up if my segment is "Source contains Facebook" ? From what I can tell, there is no mention of Facebook at all. And if this was a referral, then someone would've gone from lasertherapyu.org to our site, therefore bypassing Facebook?

I appreciate any help! Thank you!

-Holly

Re: Segment for Facebook Traffic Only shows a referral source that is not from Facebook

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Holly,

How does the segment look like that you're using?

If you'd like to analyze only traffic from Facebook, you should use this kind of segment:

facebook source.png

Keep in mind, Google Analytics use last non-direct click attribution model in the standard reports. So it depends on whether you're filtering by sessions or users.

By the way, I highly recommend reading this topic if you'd like to get rid of all the different Facebook sources.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi