Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Segment filtered on page URL discepancy over the number reported on site content panel for that page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

this is the problem I'm facing. I have a custom segment with just an advanced condition which segments on the field "page", "starting with" and a value.

When the segment is active, in the overview I have, for example, 1,000,000 Pageviews for that segment.

But on site content panel, searching for that URL I have a total of 750,000 Pageviews. Just approximate numbers but they compare to the real discrepancy I'm finding (25% less).

Which could be the reason? The sampling? Is it not reliable for pageviews?

Thank you, Stefano.

Re: Segment filtered on page URL discepancy over the number reported on site content panel for that

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Stefano,

Can you share the screenshot of segments definition and the reports you mention?

What might be happening here is - when you apply Segments, it returns all the Sessions where any 'hit' satisfy the segment definition, and the PVs metric is the total PVs in all of those sessions (incl. the Pages that don't start with the value)

Whereas, the content report reports only those hits form the Pages that satisfy your condition!

Hope this clarifies,

Cheers!

Re: Segment filtered on page URL discepancy over the number reported on site content panel for that

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, of course!
First the segment definition. The only condition is on the page URL.

a1.png

The on the Behavior/Site content/All pages I can see:

a2.png

highlighted the total pageviews and the fact there is no filter.

The if I add the URL to the search field, I get

a3.png

And the number deeply changes. Other pages in the list are not relevant talking about Pageview just a total of 5,000.

I expected to have the pageviews of the entry number 1 almost identical to the pageviews of the segment... probably I'm missing something!

Any idea is welcome! :-)

Thank you, Stefano.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Anyway I understood your explanation... so it is not possible to create a segment just to count the pageviews. For example the site has a number of pages which are related and sometime is useful to know the total pageviews of those pages. A segmente seemed to me the best way... probably I need to use another tool?

Thank you!
Stefano.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee2 (Google Employee)
October 2016

Segment filtered on page URL discepancy over the number reported on site content panel for that page

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm afraid not! Segments always return aggregate Session level data (or Usre level data), not a 'hit' level data (Page being hit level dimension)

I suggest use custom report instead

Dimension: Page

Metric: PageVies

Filter: expression that matches the Pages of interest