Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Seeing urls not in email campaign in report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I setup campaign tracking on my email newsletter.  Everything is working nicely but I'm seeing some urls/pages that were not in the email newsletter show up in the reports.  Why is that?  How can that be.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ivan :-)
Just to clarify, are the other pages you are seeing in the reports, pages belonging to your site that you have installed the tracking code on?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Seeing urls not in email campaign in report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes the other pages I'm seeing are from my site, however they were not included in the email. I'm not sure why or how these other urls appear if they are not tagged with the campaign.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ivan F
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ivan,

What reports are you looking at? If it's a pages report, then it makes sense for you to see other pages not linked in the email. This just means that a user clicked something in you email, landed on your site, and then navigated to other pages. 

If it's a landing page report, then it's likely due to visitors that originally came to your site via one of the emails but are returning directly either through bookmarks or typing in a specific URL. In those cases, the subsequent direct visits are still attributed to your email campaign.

For example, I click one of your emails and navigate to a page not included in your email. I then bookmark this page, let's call it Page A. In the next week, I return to Page A via bookmark 3 separate times. Based on the example above, I would have generated a total of 4 sessions for your email campaign over the past week, with Page A as the landing page on 3 of those occasions. Here's an article that explains this in more detail. 

Let me know if this makes sense. 

Best,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mike,

I'm going to the campaign and then adding landing page as the secondary dimension. So I guess what you described is correct?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Ivan,

That's my theory. You can test it though Smiley Happy. Since this depends on users making "returning" visits via typed/bookmarked/(everything else categorized as direct), you could create a segment that only includes first time visits AND excludes returning visits. If you still see landing pages not linked to through your email, then you'll know that there's something else causing this issue. 

Best,

Mike

P.S. here's a screenshot of how I would create the segment.

SegmentSegment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tested it and I only see pages that are linked through the email.  So your theory is correct.  However the session for the pages that are in the email are cut in about half give or take.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

That makes sense. The segment is only looking at first time visitors, so any repeat visitors clicking through on that email or returning via direct wouldn't be counted. The segment is meant more to test the theory than for actual reporting, so I wouldn't use this segment to report out on how the campaign performed - in this case, what you were seeing in your original campaign report is likely correct and working as intended. 

Best,

Mike