Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Seeing (not set) in Behavior -> All Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When trying to view All Pages with the Secondary Dimension of Social Network I am seeing a lot of (not set) coming up under the Social Network Column. I have researched online and there seems to be numerous reasons for this happening. I would appreciate some advice from a GA expert on what might be causing this issue and the best steps to try and remove it. 

Our website is for news/media so we have a lot of content, videos, links, images, social media, etc. 

Any feedback you can provide is much appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Seeing (not set) in Behavior -> All Pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Criterion C,

that's just normal behavior - if referrer isn't a social network like Facebook or YouTube (so probably most of traffic) it's actually displayed as (not set). Why would you want to change that?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your response. I am really trying to wrap my head around this (not set) data in order to properly analyze the reports for my organization. Google doesn't provide very clear simple explanations for these things. I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't mind answering of few more questions for me.

I understand that (not set) can be associated with a different hit type such as an event or e-commerce. We currently do not have any e-commerce being tracking in GA but we do use "addthis" and it is currently being tracked as an Event Category. Out of that data some of the Event Labels show (not set) data.

Could we be seeing (not set) for social media data because users are just bookmarking pages via addthis?

Also I understand that we may be seeing (not set) because there was a session but not a pageview or screen view. The documentation online about this topic is a little confusing. Can you provide a simple explanation of how this can occur and how I can check this in GA?

Also if you have any recommendations online in regards to forums or websites on how to better interpret and work with GA data I would really appreciate it.

Thank You!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Criterion,

(not set) in 'Behavior > Site Content > All Pages' report just means all traffic that isn't of social origin. Change the second dimension to "Source/Medium' and you'll see a lot of sources that aren't social (Google/Organic, Direct/none etc.). Alle these sources are labeled 'not set' if you ask your data for being a 'Social Network' - it's just the answer 'no, it's not a social network'.

Christoph