Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Seeing (not set) for social network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I look at the channels report, all of my Facebook advertising campaigns show up in (not set) instead of in Facebook. It shows the correct way when I look at the Source/Medium report. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Seeing (not set) for social network

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Jess,

In the channels report - do you mean other? Basically GA is looking for a medium of utm_medium=social or a referral from a social source (facebook/referral). If you've manually set your Facebook traffic to a different medium then it will group it somewhere else. If you want it in the social bucket you have to adjust your utm tagging and or your channel definition.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thanks for the response. I don't mean other - once I click into Social on the channels report and get to the list of social Networks, I see all of the social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc), but then there's a (not set), which includes all of my Facebook and Twitter ad traffic.

I'm wondering how I can get that traffic to go in the correct Facebook or Twitter social networks instead of being in (not set). It shows up correctly on the source/medium report, but for some reason, it's not correct on the channel report.

Thanks for your help!
Jess

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Jess,

What source medium do you see when you drill into (not set) - you'll need to add a secondary dimension of source/medium.

I suspect it's something that Google is not expecting - either the source does not match a social entity e.g. hootesuite or google (instead of google+) or facbook and the medium is social or perhaps the source is recognized but the medium is not.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

When I drill into (not set) and add source/medium as the secondary dimension, I see Facebook / (display, retargeting, etc - whatever medium I'm using).

Do you have any clue as to why it won't go into the Facebook bucket? Do I have to add something about Social Network to the UTM parameters?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jess

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Jess,

Just to be clear, you are seeing this with recent data, correct? Not data from.. let's say July 2103 and before? And have you modified any channel definitions?

Usually what happens is that it recognizes the social source but not the medium (social is the thing it's looking for) and would put it into Other and not Not Set. Usually other is the catch all. When I looked through a few accounts last week, I saw one or two that had not set but I can't be sure of my date ranges. Smiley Sad

In any event, if you really want this in the social bucket and not in Paid or Display etc, then you can modify your channel definitions in the view settings and add some "or" condition where the source medium matches how your links are tagged. e.g. facebook/retargeting This should clean it up moving forward.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,
Yes, this is from recent data. I've tried to add the exact source/medium to the channel definitions, but that did not work either. I think that works only to group them into the social channel, but not to put them in the Facebook or Twitter buckets specifically.
Do you think it could have anything to do with the utm codes having lowercase "f" for "facebook" or "t" for "twitter"?
Thank you so much!
Jess

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Jess,

It's actually a best practice to have them lowercase. I also add lowercase filters to all my analysis views so someone does not accidentally divide the traffic by mixing cases (GA UTM params are garbage in / garbage out).

Has someone changed the default channel groupings for the view in which you are looking?

You can check another view if your not sure or create a new one to see if it reports the same. I still say that for any range after July 2013 (when this feature was added) you should see other instead of (not set) if the default values have not been changed. (changing the default values permanently changes how channels are classified which is very different from how custom channel groupings work.

You could start changing your utm medium to something GA recognizes like cpc / cpm and use utm_content or the campaign name (that's what I would use) to denote display or retargeting ( I often use utm_term for this as it use to show as (not set) in the keywords reports.

The custom channel group should mimic the system defined and should look something like this:

http://prnt.sc/bv8tg8

Hope that helps! Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo - 

I am reading through this chain and have a similar issue. 

In Acquisition>All Traffic>Channels report, I click through my "Social" grouping to find I have a "(not set)". When I drill down into "(not set)" and add a secondary dimension of "source/medium" I am seeing "digital / Social" and "digital / social". Can you explain further what that means? Does it mean that they saw a digital ad of mine and when they clicked the ad it went to a social page? 

Thanks! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having the same issue as above with getting (not set) coming up as a social network under the default social channel. Specifically from Facebook or instagram advertising through the Facebook ad manager. 

UTM is as follows in ad manager: 

utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=name

In google analytics, I have adjusted one view's default channel grouping (found in admin> view > channel settings > channel grouping). In "social" I added "OR source contains 'facebook'" and "OR source contains 'instagram'". This has helped with funnelling the traffic through the default social channel (otherwise it comes through other or paid or direct), BUT, still having the issue with the social network displaying as (not set) when it should be displaying as Facebook or instagram.