Analytics
6.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Second Page equal to Entrance page in Entrance Path report

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We just redesigned our website and the bounce rate is really really low, like under 10%.  I expected it to drop, but not by that much. I went to look at the landing pages and then the entrance paths.  For all of the landing pages, the entrance path report is showing the second page as equal to the entrance page for 98-99% of the sessions. What's going on? 

Re: Second Page equal to Entrance page in Entrance Path report

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leah,

It sounds like your Google Analytics script is probably fired twice on the landing page.

If you share the URL with me, I can check it for you.

Best,
Paul

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Wouldn't Google Tag Assistant call that out? It's https://www.mediabistro.com/ Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leah P
January 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Leah, I just tested it and Google Tag Assistant (if you look at the recordings) shows that two hits are sent of the same page.

So somehow your page is measured two times:
Google Tag Assistant Recording tracked 1 pages and 2 hits.

We noticed 1 Google Analytics Account. To view a more detailed report about your Analytics account, click on the relevant account:

This will cause the bounce rate to drop to close to zero.

This is the source code:

<noscript&gt;<iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-W9W9V4"
height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript&gt;
&lt;script&gt;(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':
new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src='//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);
})(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-W9W9V4');&lt;/script&gt;
&lt;script&gt;
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-63485352-1', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');

It means you have GTM installed (with the GA tag) and separately the GA code is active on your site.

I expect this to work correctly if you remove the GA tag and keep only GTM with GA active on your site.

Best,
Paul

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you so much! Does this mean that only Pageviews and bounce rate are affected? In other words, can I trust sessions and users numbers?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
More than welcome!

Well, if the pageviews are tied to the same session (which is the case), you can probably trust them.

What you can do is (after this issue is fixed) to check if sessions (on the same day, e.g. a Monday) for a relatively stable segment don't deviate too much. In other words, you should see a huge change in sessions and users once the issue is fixed.

However, if you don't need the numbers that much for this period, I would concentrate on yourself on the data once the issue is fixed. Just to be 100% you can trust the data.

Paul

Second Page equal to Entrance page in Entrance Path report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there Paul

I'm writing because it seems as I do have a similar problem as described by Leah below.

When I check my Tag Assistant we do have a Google Analytics Page View which is fine. In the Google Tag Manager DataLayer there is another similar Event 

{
"event": "stg.pageView",
"start": 1501583524841,
"gtm.uniqueEventId": 27
},

Now I'm not sure if this is misleading since I don't understand the event stg.pageView. Would you be so kind an doublecheck our page https://www.geschenkidee.ch/geschenke/standardgeschenke and tell me if we have to change anything in the way GTM is set up? By the way - please ignore the first Google Analytics geschenkidee_mage since this one is a tag wich is mistakenly interpreted by Tag Assistant as a Google Analytics property.

Thanks a lot 
Best,
Yves