Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Searches show up as pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to look at my behavior > site content > all pages report but most of the pages are search results generated by people searching on the website (they show up as ?/s and then the search term) .  Is this normal?  Is there a way to change it?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Glenn D,

Onsite search query parameters will be included by default. I you do not want to have them you should strip them out. You can do this by checking 'Strip query parameters out of URL' checkbox(right under where your search query parameter is defined) in Google Analytics view settings. 

I hope this helps

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My search tracking is not even activated.  If I did do that I'd need a value to put in the space not sure what goes there.

Thanks,

Glenn

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Glenn D
July

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Oh Smiley Happy ok. I suggest you to set it because it will enable for you to track your users' onsite search.

The value is the URL query parameter that you have on your website. For example if user searches 'test', your url will be something like following(unless you are using post method for searches on your website) and your url will look like this:

http://www.example.com?s=test

Here your search query parameter is 's' and this is what you need to put in your Google Analytics view settings. 

Please keep in mind that your search query parameter might be different than 's'. It can be 'query', 'search', 'q' etc... because it depend on the developer.

When you put this parameter into the box and check the checkbox to filter our search query parameter, you should have what you are looking for.

Please keep in mind that this will not change the historical data but be applied on the future data.

I hope this helps you to achieve what you want.

Regards