Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Search depth - does it count pages of search results in the search depth metric?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Search depth is the number of pages viewed after performing a search. What I'm wondering is, if they get a search results page that has five pages of results and they click the arrow button to see more search results, does that count in the search depth metric? It seems like it would water down the search depth number, if so. 

Search depth - does it count pages of search results in the search depth metric?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Litmon,

The search depth dimension is defined as "Search Depth = The number of pages viewed after performing a search. This is calculated as Sum of all search_depth across all searches / (search_transitions + 1)." So depending on the site functionality and whether or not the "see more results" triggers an additional pageview, the results may vary for this particular metric. 

Best,

Jordan

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks! Is there anything I can do to figure out whether the see more results page triggers additional pageviews? How do I know?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Litmon,

I would suggest using googles tag assistant for chrome. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

Once you add the tag assistant you will see a nifty little tag near your search browser in upper right corner of the browser. Visit the site you are looking to test. Once there go to the assistant and select record, this will be on the lower left corner of the drop down. Now with recording active, perform a search and once the first page has concluded loading select the "more results" (or whatever this is called). You could do this a few times or just once. Now go back to the assistant and end the recording, it should ask if you would like to view results. In the results there should be a grouping of information based on the pageviews and interactions that occurred. Based on the amount of times load more was selected you should be able to compare the results to the actions you performed. 

Here is some additional information on tag assistant recordings. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6277302?hl=en

I hope this helps,

Best,

Jordan