Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Search category showing not set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I am trying to setup search report for my website Fabulessly Frugal. I have set both the Query parameter and Site search categories but unfortunately, Site Search Category only showing "not set". I have read several blog posts, analytics help text, quora post, stackoverflow posts but nothing seems to be working. I am using WordPress for my site. 

A typical search page url of my site is - https://fabulesslyfrugal.com/?s=recipes&type=deal. Here s is the search query parameter and type is the search category parameter. 

View settings of my site in analyticsView settings of my site in analyticsSearch page of my siteSearch page of my site

I am not sure what else to do to fix this problem. I would really appreciate any kind of help. 

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search category showing not set

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Capture.PNG

The page request of account 8630059-1 is not passing type in the page field but instead the value /?s=test&cat=plus-5-results.

Also, no matter what page I'm on, say fabulesslyfrugal.com/category/recipes/, when I search I'm redirected to the homepage.

A couple of questions I'd ask after this quick check:

1 - Where does cat=plus-5-results come from?

2 - Is type=deal being lost as a result of the redirect?

Search category showing not set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. That is really strange. I really don't have any idea. 
2. That is how WordPress search works. The index.php file processes the search query and returns result.

Do you have any idea why would the ga script send a page view for /?s=test&cat=plus-5-results when it's on ?s=test&type=deal page?