Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Search Console Report shows flat data after website update

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask if anyone knows what can be the reason for an extrange reduction of data volume within the "Search Console" reports, this drop in data can be seen in the 4 reports that integrate this report (Landing Pages, Countries, Devices and Queries). I'd like to make sure what's the reason of this because I'm afraid that my site is losing data and therefore the report would be incomplete.

You can see a screen capture of the Queries sub-report, but the same pattern can be seen other three reports of the Search Console....

search_console_flat_data_.jpg

As you guys can see there's no segment applied and the data chart represents the complete traffic volume of my site.

Any thoughts about why is this happening and how can I solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Luis Enrique

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Console Report shows flat data after website update

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Luis E,

There is a reporting bug which might be the factor with your issue. When you are logged in to the Adwords account, click on the gear in the upper right hand corner and contact Google Support for precise care. There is a phone number to call when you are ready. 

You could also use Google Tag Assistant (Chrome extension) to verify the tracking tag is firing properly. This is a free tool that is very helpful in finding tracking code issues. 

Best Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did your URL structure change? If so, did you implement a comprehensive redirect strategy? Also worth looking at Search Console Crawl Errors, Index Status and Crawl Stats. Also double check that your robots.txt and meta tags for disallow and no index commands... i've seen many a dev leave these in after an update/refresh and yes... the expensive reputable ones do it too.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello @James_Clemens

Thanks for the reply, I visited my AdWords dashboard and started finding for Google Support... there I found the Help tab and the Call to Us link to that you mentioned; nevertheless, I not completely sure if I should contact them for this issue always that my case belongs to Analytics, but I also found a Help tab in Analytics and sent an email to the team with a screenshot of of the issue.
Thanks again!
Luis

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @Craig M

Yes the URL structure was changed for most of the page variations (it's multi-language site)... regarding crawling I can say the following:

- Search Console Crawl Error: there are only some errors mainly regarding to 404 pages (which I guess are produced for the changes of the website URLs), but I can't find something that tells me the reason of the lose of all data for search analytics. Should I check for some specifics?

search_analytics_data.png

-  Index Status: there's no drop of pages indexed in comparison with the search analytics data, so I assume that the indexing status is not the issue

- Crawl Status: "the pages crawled  per day" and "time spent downloading a page" charts show a constat flow of data, though for the "kilobytes downloaded per day" chart show an irregular flow

kilobytes_downloaded.png

Regarding robots.txt / meta tags for disallow and no index... I will contact my dev team to make sure that this is working properly... in any case I'll update this topic once I get the reply from them...

Best Regards!

Luis

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Very welcome, @Luis E.

Please let us know what support says. 

Just so you know, you can use Google Search Console to check the robots.txt file. 

1) Click on property/website

2) Click on Crawl

3) Click on robots.txt tester

You can also use the fetch as Google to verify your pages are actually accessible by Google. 

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@James_Clemens

Thanks again for the feedback, I followed your guidelines and found the following:

robots-txt-tester.jpg

There seems to be no errors regarding to robots.txt ; nevertheless, I'm not sure if I should check for something else in this report (kindly notify if I should do something else)

As for the Fetch as Google tool, I clicked on both types of fetch and after that it showed me a button saying "Submit to Index", I'm not completely sure why it says that because I supposed that the homepage URL is already indexed (it appears in Google results), but in any case I clicked on the aforementioned button and hope that can help to recover the Search Analytics data...

fetch-as_google.jpg

Thereafter that I clicked on the "Submit To Index" button as if the main URL were not indexed...

submit_to_index.jpg

Maybe after the update there were something wrong with the indexation, in any case I guess this can help to update the status.

Regards!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Luis E, you are very welcome.

Things look okay with your results, although I see the redirected status for the crawl results. This is typical with WordPress sites.

• Redirected: The server responded with a redirect. The Fetch as Google tool does not follow redirects. Although the actual Google crawler follows redirects, the Fetch as Google tool will not. You must follow a redirect manually:
    • If the redirect is to the same property, the tool displays a button that allows to quickly follow the redirect by populating the fetch box with the redirect URL.
    • If the URL redirects to another property that you own, you can click "Follow" to autopopulate the URL box, then copy the URL, switch views to the new site, and then paste the URL into the fetch box.
    You can inspect the HTTP response on the fetch details page to see the redirect details. Locate the HTTP error code to learn more. Redirects can be triggered by the server or by meta tags or JavaScript on the page itself.

I think from here, I would resubmit my Site Map in Google Search Console (and actually review each tab within Search Console). Then I would move to seeing how my site is doing with site speed, mobile-friendly design, optimized content, and SEO factors. 

Once Google Search Console is reviewed, let's check up on your site speed, mobile-friendliness and some SEO (search engine optimization) stuff. 

1) Visit Google Search Console.

2) Use the Google Develoeprs Speed Test and work on fixing the issues so that your score is 89 or higher for both mobile & desktop.

3) Rerun the Google Speed Test but use this tool instead. Make sure you have a mobile score of 100.

4) Run your site through this SEO score checker.

Utilize the steps as they are outlined. Visit #1 and dig into your website actions with Google. Use #2 to bring your score up and get any optimized content to download. Complete everything and then go to #3. Complete everything and go to step #4.  

Please let us know what you discover and if you need further help.

King Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@James_Clemens

I just followed the advice and this is what I found:
1. Everything looks good within search console, only some duplicated meta descriptions to fix
2. There are some possible improvements with the mobile and desktop versions of the site, but overall it says that it's mobile friendly
3. Almost the same than point 2, I'll wait the detailed report to see if there's something else
4. The site got an score of 59 (not that good)

After all this the initial issue wasn't solved (lost of search analytics data), so I'll wait for the Google Analytics team to see what other things can be causing this loss of data. Anyways, it was useful to discard other potential causes, thanks for that!
Best!
Luis

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Very welcome, sir.

Work on those speed scores while you await further reply from Analytics support.

Please let us know what you discover so I can be of better help in the further to someone else.

Have a great weekend!

Kind Regards,

James