AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Search Console Landing Page Results Don't Reflect Google Analytics Data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My most popular landing page according to Google Analytics over the past three weeks (nearly 400 results) shows absolutely zero results on Search Console. Other pages are more or less in sync. Which result should I believe? What do I need to do to achieve a comparable result from both sources? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
They are two different lots of data.

Search Console data isn't tracked by Google Analytics, its data tracked and reported by Google Search Console when ppl see and click on your website in google organic search results. The data is then imported into the linked analytics account.
Google Search Console tracks visitor information differently to google analytics.. and is also limited to some degree in what data it provides you with, in order to protect search users' privacy. It also only imports data from google web search results into analytics (not video or image search or things like maps search etc).

In the Behaviour > Site Content > Landing pages report, this is data from all source/mediums.. not just from Google/Organic web search

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Gosh, the landing page is a 3000-word text article. There's no video, maps, or much in the way of images. I don't see how referencing the page in the Search Console would violate anyone's privacy. The Analytics visitors seem real - I can see the cities and countries they come from and which page they visit next. Why would there be not a single landing page reference in Search Console when there are hundreds of references in Google Analytics.  

Re: Search Console Landing Page Results Don't Reflect Google Analytics Data

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

1) Did you click on the relevant Landing Page, where it is listed in the table of the Behaviour > Site Content > Landing pages report, and then add a Secondary Dimension of Source / Medium to check where those visits were coming from to see if they were coming from Google / Organic, another organic source or if they were via referrals or direct traffic instead?

Gosh, the landing page is a 3000-word text article. There's no video, maps, or much in the way of images. I don't see how referencing the page in the Search Console would violate anyone's privacy.

• To protect user privacy, Search Analytics doesn't show all data. For example, we might not track some queries that are made a very small number of times or those that contain personal or sensitive information.
  • Some processing of our source data might cause these stats to differ from stats listed in other sources (for example, to eliminate duplicates and visits from robots). However, these changes should not be significant.
  • Some tools define "keywords" differently. For example, the Keywords tool in Google AdWords displays the total number of Google searches for that keyword across the web. Search Analytics shows only those keyword searches that returned your pages in Google search results.
  • There can be a lag between when the numbers are calculated and when they are visible to webmasters. Although data gets published in intervals, we continually collect it. Normally, however, collected data should be available in 2-3 days.
  • Time zones matter. Search Analytics tracks daily data according to Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). If your other systems use different time zones, your daily views may not match exactly. For example, Google Analytics shows time in the webmaster’s local time zone.
  • Some tools, such as Google Analytics, track traffic only from users who have enabled JavaScript in their browser.
  • Downloaded data unavailable/not a number values. If you download the data in the report, any values shown as ~ or - (not available/not a number) on the report will be zeros in the downloaded data.
Ref: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6155685?hl=en&ref_topic=4589099

or

Why doesn't Search Console data match Google Analytics data?

Search Console data may differ from the data displayed in other tools, such as Google Analytics. Possible reasons for this include:

• Search Console does some additional data processing—for example, to handle duplicate content and visits from robots—that may cause your stats to differ from stats listed in other sources.
  • Some tools, such as Google Analytics, track traffic only from users who have enabled JavaScript in their browser.
  • Google Analytics tracks visits only to pages which include the correctly configured Analytics Javascript code. If pages on the site don't have the code, Analytics will not track visits to those pages. Visits to pages without the Analytics tracking code will, however, be tracked in Search Console if users reach them via search results or if Google crawls or otherwise discovers them.
  • Some tools define "keywords" differently. For example:
    • The Keywords page in Search Console displays the most significant words Google found on your site.
    • The Keywords tool in Google Adwords displays the total number of user queries for that keyword across the web.
    • Analytics uses the term "keywords" to describe both search engine queries and AdWords paid keywords.
    • The Search Console Search Analytics page lists shows the total number of keyword search queries in which your page's listing was seen in search results, and this is a smaller number. Also, Search Console rounds search query data to one or two significant digits.
Ref: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1120006?hl=en
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, thanks for hanging in there with me.

Source: 86% Google

Medium: 89% Organic

So wouldn't you think they'd be picked up on Search Console?

Edward S.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had the same issue - with search console I have in a month almost the same users that analytics register in a day!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Barbara B

It may come down to Attribution Precedence and how GA attributes the last non-direct click

for the visit

Two good articles worth the reading time

https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/direct-visits-google-analytics-attribution-precedence

https://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2017/12/04/direct-traffic-gotchas-last-non-direct-attribution/