Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Scroll Percentage vs Pixel Depth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the Scroll Depth-statistics. According to the numbers in the percentage-statistics, around 40% of visits trigger the 50%-mark. My pages are appprox. 5.000 px high, so this means that when I go to the Pixel-Depth-statistics, the 2.500-mark should also be triggered by around 40% of the visits. This number, however, is much smaller: around 5%. Is there an explanation for this discrepancy and which statistics can I trust?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Scroll Percentage vs Pixel Depth

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I found this information on the triggering of these events:

"Pixel Depth events record the scroll distance in pixels, rounded down to the nearest 250px increment. While the percentage events provide a relative measure of scroll depth, pixel depth events provide an absolute measure. This can be useful for comparing across devices where the relative percentage heights vary greatly (e.g., desktop vs mobile).

Note that Pixel Depth events are only sent when Percentage or Elements tracking events are sent. For example, when the 50% scroll event is triggered, a pixel depth event will also be sent to record the current deepest scroll point in pixels."

By reading this my understanding is that the most accurate would be pixel depth, also keep in mind that there is a 500 hit limit and you can generate 12 or so hits if a user scrolls to the bottom of the page.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Are you keeping in mind different devices, such as Mobile vs Desktop, as well as any JS based additions such as a comment box?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes, both statistics are for mobile users

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Are you doing any segmentation or filtering, if so what does the data look like when these are removed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not using any segmentation of filtering