Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sampling in standard report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

maybe someone knows an answer and can help:

I've created a roll-up property gathering data from an additional tracker - so there are 2 trackers on every page, and pageview are send to each tracker.

The old property has standard reports unsampled. The rollup property, although has only slightly more data, has standard reports sampled. Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Arkadiusz

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sampling in standard report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If the rollup has 2 trackers, it gets 2 times the number of sessions. Even if you filter for one account, sampling will kick in sooner. Sampling is triggered by the sessions count at the property-level.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There are 2 trackers but only one is for the rollup. Second is for a separate property. In other words I have 2 properties with nearly the same session counts. And only one has sampled data in standard reports.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sampling occurs when the number of sessions in the date range selected exceeds a threshold. If you have the same number of sessions and the same threshold settings, then the degree of sampling should be about the same. If your rollup property is also tracking other properties, then all of the sessions for all of the properties must be counted.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mike, the thing is that although the number of sessions is nearly the same (it's even smaller in the rollup - probably because it's tracker is fired as the second one) one view is sampled, one isn't.

Please look at the screenshots:Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 13.38.24.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-08 at 13.38.37.png

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Click the square box beside the scholar's cap at the top right, make sure it is selected for maximum accuracy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It turns on every time number of sessions in a given timeframe exceeds 500k. No matter what the accuracy setting is.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
That is actually the normal operating mode -- if you have applied a segment of any kind, it will sample for >500,000 sessions. Some of the reports are pre-aggregated and may not be sampled in their native, unchanged state. Make any change, and they will sample. I am not sure why one of the properties does not sample for the same report -- i.e. I figured both should be sampled.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope, those are standard reports for "source/medium". I checked many properties with number of sessions exceeding 500k. None of them was sampled in standard report.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
As I said, standard reports can sometimes be pre-aggregated, so they appear unsampled. I am not sure why one property would have them unsampled and the other would not. 500,000 sessions is the normal threshold for sampling to affect reports.