Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sampled data via API from March, 23

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We have scheduled reports using GA core v3 Api.

And we noticed that we started to get samled data from March, 23, but count of sessions still less then 500K (sampling limit for non-premium https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042498).

sampling.png

We found out that when sessions are less then 250K everything still Ok.

Does anyone know about api limit changes in sampling? Or where can we find such information? Or maybe someone face the same problem?

Will  be very grateful for your answers.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Make sure you specify HIGHER_PRECISION in your query or you will get the DEFAULT, which starts around 250,000 sessions

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/v3/reference#samplingLevel

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

thanks for answer, but I use HIGHER_PRECISION in my query - and get the same result((

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It could be that the combination of dimensions and metrics are 'difficult' for them to process (I have seen this with some user-based segments) and they lowered the threshold. 

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we are also seeing the same issue from the same date. Sessions under 250k are showing unsampled. This is using an unfiltered view, with sampling set to HIGHER_PRECISION. I can't find any information online about the change either.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Can very much recommend this article from Lunametrics on sampling:

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/

I'd recommend using the API to chop your data into smaller chunks via date range - at some point, with a smaller enough date range, you should see that sampling disappears. Then you'll need to create multiple queries using a sequence of date ranges to recover unsampled data. This is described in point 8 of the above article. For queries which look at sessions this will work fine. User based queries will not work with this method, however, if they behaviour stretches beyond the date ranges.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya, we get over 250k sessions a day on most days so unfortunately this doesn't help us. The data is still sampled when filtering on individual hours.

We have between 250k and 500k sessions a day so there used to be no issue - I am questioning why the limit has been dropped to 250k but with no warning or changes to documentation. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jenny,

See you have the same problem as we do. So it 's not only our problem. 

"I am questioning why the limit has been dropped to 250k but with no warning or changes to documentation. "

I have the same question too(

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Well, if you have not changed the query set-up i.e. introduced new filters or segments then @Mike S suggestion of a threshold change seems reasonable. Couple of suggestions:

1.check to see how many hits you are sending a month and that you are not exceeding the threshold of 10 Million/hit. 

2.contact a Google certified partner and ask them to ask Google, on your behalf, if this has changed. You may get some insight there.

2. consider upgrading to Premium where sampling is, with some work, no longer an issue; I'm not sure what the cost of a premium licence is these days

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm facing the same problem with Google Analytics. When I view the Behaviour-> Top Events default report, I get unsampled data. However, when I add a secondary dimension such as 'country' to the same report, the result is sampled. I can see the sampling notification as 49% of sessions. I am aware that adding a dimension requires adhoc query execution as per this post: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

However, the number of sessions in the view is less than 25,000 per day which is well below the 500,000 limit for Google Analytics Standard.

I am using "Greater Precision" to view the report and selected just a single day in the date range filter. I also checked the property's hit volume. It is 2.5 million for the last month. Again, this is well below the 10 million limit. Moreover, all views in the property sum up to less than 55,000 sessions in total per day. I checked this just in case the limits apply to the property instead of each view. 

We faced this issue a couple of months ago when the data volume shot up to 12 million hits. We fixed our website to track much fewer events and the sampling issue was resolved. However, this time we have not exceeded the limit of number of hits. And sessions volume has not changed recently either.

I am using the Audience Overview report to calculate the number of sessions. Is this the same metric that decides the sampling? I would appreciate any help you could provide regarding this issue.