Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Sample Rate Impact for the report

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Guys.

I've gotten notification from Universal Analytics Report as below:

limit.png

And i found few possible solution in analytics help below: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1070983?hl=en&utm_id=ad

In that article, mentioned 2 solution: use the 360 analytics or send fewer hit. i chose second solution (because 360 analytics is so expensive) in way set a sample rate for send fewer hit to google.

my question related this sample rate are:

1. How many sample max to set (in this case 134M hit per month)?

2. What the impact from this sample rate for data report? is decrease the traffic report?

Thanks a lot. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author musliman s
January 2017

Rising Star
# 13
Rising Star

@John W is right, first take a look to see if you're potentially getting a large number of ghost referral spam or other forms of Analytics web spam. 

Also while i do not think Analytics will shut down your account it's written on some documentation that Analytics potentially will not process your data once you've passed the threshold. Meaning it won't be recorded by Analytics servers. 

I've personally never tried data sampling to reduce the amount of hits recorded but it seems to be your only option besides upgrading. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Musliman, 

#1 Whenever Google Analytics samples your data it will show you the percentage of the data being sampled - look for text like : "This report is based on N sessions" 

#2 Regarding sample rate - as a general rule, the lower the sample percentage the less accurate the data and the less reliable as well. Even custom reports will which typically do not show sampled data will start to show sampled data. 

What kind of high-level website are you dealing with? How many layers of tracking are you using? Events, hits, User-ID, etc. ? 

Joshua, Rising Star

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Jo for your fast respon.

i think that sample rate will decrease data trafict which resulted because send fewer hiit to Google Analytics Database, isn't it?

I have one domain with 20 more channel dan more than 100M Hit/PV per Month. i'v not yet set user ID and no event tracking.

So what your advise? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

in terms of overcoming the hit limits for Universal Analytics (10M hit per month)

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Are you tracking more than 1 website in your property and/or account? If so I would consider splitting them across accounts. 

Besides that It sounds like if you're reaching 100+ M hits a month you're probably going to have to sign-up for Analytics 360. 

Joshua, Rising Star

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Try lowering your sampling rate from 100% to 10% with the following: 

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/field-reference#sampleRate

Just discovered this. Could be useful! 

Joshua, Rising Star

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks a lot Jo for your all respon and advise. for going to use 360 analytics is too expensive, so i prefer to set a sample rate in Anlytics tagging. but i worried this effect decreasing of data traffic report. or does data resulted from sample rate approach "real" data?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

That's a lot of data - if, as you say, premium is not an option then can also see that is contributing to the number of hits. For example, superfluous events (such as timing hits) could be removed or, for example, virtual page views. I'd prioritise this before you start culling your data via sampling.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jhon,

what do you mean virtual pageview is BOT traffic? if i remove campaign tagging it can send fewer hit?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

No - I did not mean bot traffic. Apologies for not being clear.  By superfluous I meant tracking that you've got on the site which may not be used at all, or is only a nice to have. I've seen similar cases where event tracking has been added to track user time on site which results in a large number of events being sent. Virtual page views can also be abused in a similar way, for example if they have been set to measure clicks on images or documents. 

Campaign tracking should not impact your site in terms of hits. Spam traffic will, however, so worth checking this out.

Just out of interest -is there a large mismatch between the number of sessions you have a month, and the number of hits? The hits metric is available in segments and custom reports. If there is (i.e. significantly lower number of hits compared to number of sessions) then the culprit is how your tracking is performing and my comments above may be of use. If the numbers are similar then the culprit is the high number of sessions and your solution will be, unfortunately, sampling (assuming that the data is all from one website).

corrected: deleted use of word 'dimension' in sentence about the hits metric

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.