Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Rising Page Views Incorrectly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I use monster insights to run our google analytics but I don't think our website isn't showing our page view traffic correctly for ethanolrfa.org.

I believe this is because I have a plug in enabled on our home page (auto-refresh https://wordpress.org/plugins/auto-refresh-single-page/) and news page on wordpress because we had an issue to where our most recent blog posts weren't automatically showing up on the homepage til the user did a refresh. I tried multiple other ways to solve the issue including adding and deleting caching and auto cache as well as enabling the cloud platform for the website and nothing worked. Once i added the plug in to automatically refresh every 45 seconds we were easily able to see the content that was updated for both the homepage and news page.

The issue now is that for the month of June it is showing 51,000 page views which is very high. We have Jetpack installed on our wordpress website that's showing for the month of June we only have 31,000 page views and last year in June it was even lower so I don't think 51,000 is correct. Can anyone help me find a fix to this so it isn't doubling our traffic due to the auto-refresh?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July

Rising Page Views Incorrectly

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Every time it refreshes with a user on the page, it will cause another pageview in analytics.

Did you seek support from the theme developer to see if there was an issue with the theme in regards to the blog etc not updating when new content was posted?

From looking at the website.. the news and blog articles sometimes do not get updated for a few days, so having an auto refresh set to every 45secs is very likely overkill. From my own pov as a user, i found the auto refresh really intrusive.. especially at such short intervals.

If you are using a caching plugin on the site, you should be able to configure it to not cache the site frontpage and the main blog page and possibly also not cache the archive page for a particular category, tag or custom post type (eg news)

the following thread on stackoverflow also offers some other alternatives too

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8347595/htaccess-how-to-force-the-clients-browser-to-clear-the-c...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here