Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Revenue Tracking and Goal Conversion Irregularities

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone, 

I have an issue which I am trying to wrap my head around. I do have a theory which I won't share now so as not to cloud any of the answers Smiley Wink

- I have a website that has 3x products categories.

- Each Product Category matches a unique goal (Destination URL).

- I do have eCommerce in place that passes 3x product category names in.

If I go to my revenue reports at look at the revenue generated for each product category I see this:

Dogs: $6,939.93

Cats: $11, 543.43

Birds: $7,618.39

Now, if I go to a regular report (say any acquisition report) and look at the eCommerce values by completed goals for Cats (by using a segment to exclude goal conversions from Dogs and Birds) only I get:

Cats: $7,179.59

Why the huge difference?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A segment would exclude whole sessions, so if a single session purchased both Cats and Dogs products, you would exclude it from your 'Cats' report.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mike, thanks! I am trying to follow this (really I am).... 

A user can't purchase 2x products in one transaction so the Cat goal would fire for each transaction. When I look at the Cat Product Category I would have thought the revenue numbers would be the same.