Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Returning users from campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having problems to get stats about returning visitors from campaign.

Example: I have placed the following link with http://mysite.com/page?utm_medium=camp1 on some website. I want to know how many users that clicked on that link came back again on their own (direct source).

For example, when user clicked that link came back again after 1 hour by directly typing the domain in the browser address or from bookmark.

What I'm doing is the following:

1. Create a custom segment with the following 'conditions': medium | exactly matches | camp1

2. From the left menu: Acquisition -> Overview -> Direct and then applying the custom segment from the above.

My questions are:

1. Is this the correct way to track those returning visitors?

2. Those returning visitors are users who came back to my site again by clicking the link or it's the other way around?

3. The 'New Users' column says 'The number of first-time users during the selected date range.Does 'first-time' means 'first time clicking the link, but previously they might have been visiting my site directly' or 'first time they came to my site by clicking the link and they haven't been visiting my site previously'

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Returning users from campaign

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
New Users would be those that GA did not find a cookie for already on their computer, so if the user clears out their cookies when they close their browser they would constantly be reported as a New User. You could create a custom metric called Returing Users and add it to a copy of the All Campaigns report or just do the math.