Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting banner sessions not showing up in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Currently i'm running a retargeting campaign. My banners are showing on a third party website called marktplaats.nl. To make sure the sessions are being reported in Google Analytics utm strings were added to the landing page urls. Problem is, only a fraction seems to be reported back to GA. According to the platform owner that deployed the banners (and also the company hosting the banners) i should be seeing close to 1600 sessions so far. I'm only seeing around 50.

I don't see any other sources where the sessions might be reporting to. It's as if the remaining 1550 clicks never occurred. It doesn't appear to be a filtering issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening? What am i forgetting?

Thanks in advance!

Derk

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Retargeting banner sessions not showing up in GA

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Derk,

You're not forgetting anything if you've supplied the tagged urls, have only one ? for params and don't have the traffic filtered out - they need to take corrective action. It's not uncommon for a platform or site to over-report and you should always expect some discrepancy between clicks and sessions. That said, 1,550 session discrepancy out of 1,600 clicks is insane. Smiley Happy

They may be deploying some sort of tracking redirect to measure these clicks, reach out to them and see if they are and ask them how they've accounted for these discrepancies with GA. If there are using some sort of redirect that may, in some cases, strip utm params (it happens- redirects are a pain) then you will not see the traffic as tagged but instead it could be dropped into referral or even direct if there is a difference in protocols (secure and non secure).

Use GA as your source of truth and If you're not satisfied with their answers, then you now know at least what you should be paying per CPC or CPM for the next go round.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn