Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reports providing wildy different values when segmented

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all.

Apologies if this has been posted before, I had a quick look but to be honest don't quite know how to describe this behavior!

I am looking at a Behavior > Site Content > Landing pages report, filtered to a specific landing page.

By default, the only segment active is "All Sessions" which shows the following information:

Sessions: 67
% New Sessions: 17.91%
New Users: 12
Bounce Rate: 64.18%
Pages/Session: 2.33
Avg. Session Duration: 00:03:13
Transactions: 1
Revenue: A$307.95
E-commerce Conversion Rate: 1.49%

Upon adding an additional segment, lets say for example "Direct Traffic" I now get the following values:

All Sessions:

Sessions: 23
% New Sessions: 47.83%
New Users: 11
Bounce Rate: 47.83%
Pages/Session: 6.43
Avg. Session Duration: 00:13:13
Transactions: 11
Revenue: A$3,494.52
E-commerce Conversion Rate: 47.83%

Direct Traffic:

Sessions: 11
% New Sessions: 100.00%
New Users: 11
Bounce Rate: 0.00%
Pages/Session: 12.36
Avg. Session Duration: 00:27:39
Transactions: 11
Revenue: A$3,494.52
E-commerce Conversion Rate: 100.00%

What perplexes me is why "All Sessions" is changing - surely the "All Sessions" segment should remain at 67 Sessions? Also the fact "11" is the number of Direct Traffic sessions, New Users & the number of transactions is standing out as odd to me. The revenue is clearly inflated, as we're now seeing 11 transactions out of 23 sessions, instead of 1 transaction out of 67! - Which should be believed here?

Where am I going wrong? I'm sure somewhere the configuration isn't done correctly to be providing this behaviour, or I'm just completely misinterpreting the report. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom N
January 2016

Re: Reports providing wildy different values when segmented

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tom,

data is unsampled if you don't see a yellow message, don't use any segments besides "all sessions", and don't use any secondary dimension in your report.

No idea, unfortunately, on your transaction issue.

Christoph

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tom,

Do you see the yellow message 'This report is based on ...' in the upper right when you insert a secondary dimension or segment? If so, that's due to data-sampling restrictions [1]. For large amounts of data you only have unsampled data for standard reports without any drill down secondary dimension or segmenting. Unfortunately there is no easy workaround for that.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for your speedy reply Christoph, and apologies for the delay in mine!

It would indeed appear that I am at the mercy of sampling here.

Unless I'm still misinterpreting something however, is it reasonable to assume that with only the "all sessions" segment active (and no yellow message) that those figures are not sampled?

If that's the case, I'm struggling to understand why I can only see 1 transaction in non sampled data, but 11 transactions in sampled data.

Having said that, The suspicious repetition of 11 suggests that perhaps some duplication is the culprit here- there is in fact only 1 transaction session reading as 11. But if that was the case, is there any particular reason said duplication would only occur at a segmented level, and not at the unfiltered level?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom N
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tom,

data is unsampled if you don't see a yellow message, don't use any segments besides "all sessions", and don't use any secondary dimension in your report.

No idea, unfortunately, on your transaction issue.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for confirming Christoph!

That does make everything a little clearer. I manually ran the report for a day at a time within the date range (with no sampling at any point) and found just one transaction. So I now know that it would appear the sampling occurring was sampling the same session 11 times! Very odd, I've chalked that up to a bug of some kind, and will be sure to check sampled reports more thoroughly in future.