Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reports differences

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

can anybody help me with my problem? We use in our company GA to report also our newsletters. For our Email Marketing we use Emarsys Software, which also reports the newsletters. So we have two reports from the same newsletters BUT with very different values. My thought is that click on Newsletter (report Emarsys) is the Session (report GA). So I compared this two things. If someone is on the website, in the same moment he got newsletter, he click on the link to website in newsletter, he will be in the same session. So it is 0 Session but 1 Click in Emarsys report. If I count with 10% difference because such an example, the will be the report ok. But I have sometimes like 400% difference.

Does anyone such experience? Do you compare your newsletter reports with your email softwares?

Thx for your help and ideas,

Kamil 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kamil h
May 2017

Re: Reports differences

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

In your first post in your example you gave the following scenario:

If someone is on the website, in the same moment he got newsletter, he click on the link to website in newsletter,

he will be in the same session. So it is 0 Session but 1 Click in Emarsys report.

The user is already on the site. How did they get there? From organic search? Referral from another site? They already know the site and typed the url into the browser?
In the above instance, opening another session (at the same time) via a different source (the newsletter), results in the original session being ended and a new session beginning because of the source change.

No, x clicks do not = same number of sessions.

1. What about users that do not use javascript?
    Their clicks will get counted by the email program.. their sessions wont get counted by analytics.
  2. Site visitors that have opted out of Google Analytics tracking?
    Their clicks will get counted by the email program.. their sessions wont get counted by analytics.
  3. Visitors that do not have images enabled in their browsers (I know a lot of ppl that browse like this)?
  4. PPl who choose not to accept cookies?

The following article is written about Adwords Clicks and Analytics Sessions
Pretty much the same applies in your situation too

Why AdWords Clicks and Analytics Sessions don't match in your reports

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588315?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @kamil h

Every time a user's campaign source changes, Analytics opens a new session. It’s important to point out that even if an existing session is still open (that is, less than 30 mins have elapsed), if the campaign source changes mid-session the first session is closed and a new session is opened.

Ref: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en#campaign-based-expiration

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Reports differences

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V,

thx for your quick answer. I think this is not my fault. I have still one source "Newsletter", but if I have x clicks I should have x sessions (from the same Newsletter, source is not changing like with the example with Bob - two different keywords), or I think wrong? Also how it is possible, that I have on some campaigns more Clicks than sessions? Like for example: 1 campaign has 3 clicks and 1 session.

Reports differences

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

1 - Clicks are not the same as sessions. One user can generate multiple clicks and yet 1 session only is recorded.

2 - Adding to Bronwyn's, http://www.blastam.com/blog/ga-email-campaign-tracking-tips which effectively states that a new session will be triggered if any of the utm parameters' values change.

All in all, it's quite tricky to compare numbers across softwares for the same variable, let alone different variables. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kamil h
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

In your first post in your example you gave the following scenario:

If someone is on the website, in the same moment he got newsletter, he click on the link to website in newsletter,

he will be in the same session. So it is 0 Session but 1 Click in Emarsys report.

The user is already on the site. How did they get there? From organic search? Referral from another site? They already know the site and typed the url into the browser?
In the above instance, opening another session (at the same time) via a different source (the newsletter), results in the original session being ended and a new session beginning because of the source change.

No, x clicks do not = same number of sessions.

1. What about users that do not use javascript?
  2. Site visitors that have opted out of Google Analytics tracking?
  3. Visitors that do not have images enabled in their browsers (I know a lot of ppl that browse like this)?
  4. PPl who choose not to accept cookies?

The following article is written about Adwords Clicks and Analytics Sessions
Pretty much the same applies in your situation too

Why AdWords Clicks and Analytics Sessions don't match in your reports

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588315?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

zhank you for the link. That was probaby this I was looking for.

br
Kamil