Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reports - Behavior>Pages - how to concatenate URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have this issue:

The webpage I am tracking generates dynamic URLs based on what the user is doing (it generates some IDs). This means that, in my case, the Pages report will display over 160k lines for the last 5 months, which is huge. However, the URLs are not that different, the only differences are the IDs or search queries or other stuff like that.

Some examples of visited pages

mywebsite/notes.php?id=12345

or

mywebsite/search.php?q=abcde

What I want to know is what are the most visited pages, but in this case, the search page or the notes page will go the bottom since there are so many variations. I want to concatenate all of the notes or search pages in order to have realistic view of what are the most visited pages on my website.

I thought of a way to do this by exporting all of my data to .csv and play with it further, but you can't export more than 5k lines.

Is there a way to solve this with Google Analytics?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Reports - Behavior>Pages - how to concatenate URL

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Razvan,

This is exactly what content grouping [1] in Google Analytics is built for. Here you may bundle together pages according to their URL or page title and refer to these content groups instead of single pages in reports. Often, the rule-set method is easiest to accomplish here.

Best, Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en