Analytics
5.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reporting number of sessions per custom segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Simple yet tricky question. I have three custom segments. How can I generate a report that lists number of sessions for each of these custom segments?

I can set number of sessions as the metrics (column), but couldn't find a way to pick the custom segements for dimensions (rows). GA always forces me to pick a default dimension (eg. region). This leads to a report that sub-devides each custom segement into further dimensions - something that I don't want. I'm looking for the aggregated view on segement level.

Simply speaking, I want a report that only keeps the green information from the screenshot below, while removing the red part.

custom segments vs. sessionscustom segments vs. sessions

Thanks for your help!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jakob,

Since a segment is only a subset of your Google Analytics data(not a dimension), you have to have a dimension on your report. This is why Google Analytics forces you to choose one.

In order to achieve want what you want, you can define a custom dimension and set its as "All users"(you can set the value as you wish but it has to be same for each user) on every user session. Then you can use this custom dimension together with your segments in a custom report.

If you want to know about how to set custom dimensions, please take a look at the following articles. 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709829

I hope my answer helps you.

Regards,

Güney

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jacob,

Apply the segments you want and then go to Audience>Overview. Sessions for all segments will be displayed vertically as the first metric to the left.

Thanks,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Güney

Thanks a lot for your response. I've tried your approach, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me since I don't have edit rights for the GA account of my client. Plus as I understand custom dimension require to modify the GA tracking code on the website - also something my client would rather not do.

Cheers,

Jakob

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

Thanks exactly what I need ... with the caveat that I would need to see the overview for more that 4 segments. We have 20+ sales regions that are each represent in an individual segment.

Do you know a way to track more than 4 segments in this overview?

Thanks,

Jakob

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jakob,

Only 4 segments can be applied at once. Sound like you may need to build a custom report using your segment conditions. 

What dimensions are you using to create the different segments? 

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

Thanks for your answer. We have 20+ regional markets that are defined on individual levels: city, metro, region and country. For example, our London market corresponds to the metro region London, while Hong Kong is defined on country level. Hence, I cannot segment by a single pre-defined location segments in GA.

Is there a best practice of defining segments/markets on different geographical level?

Cheers,

Jakob 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jakob R
June

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jakob,

The best option would be to create a custom dimension for Regional Market that can populate city, metro, region, or country values depending on your rules and visitor profile. 

Since you can't do that, you can try to create a Flat Table custom report with Country, Region, Metro, and City as the dimensions and Sessions as the metric. Then you can download one report and filter to different markets using pivot tables in excel - might be a good idea to create macros if you go this route. Just keep an eye out for sampling (although it shouldn't be any different from using segments). 

Best,

Mike