Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reporting innacuracy - Landing Page as a Secondary dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We’re currently running a survey on our website and have found some issues with the GA reporting. The survey process consists of two pages:

• Landing page containing online survey form
  • Form completed Success page

The survey landing page is a hidden page on the website, accessible only via a specific URL sent out to members of our organisation – it shows up in GA as ‘/youropinion’.

We sent this URL out via various channels such as LinkedIn, Twitter etc. – therefore we added unique query strings to identify each channel’s URL in GA – eg:

/youropinion?sc_camp=b25d1ed6c36546b1a5ebc8a39b3e51ae

/youropinion?sc_camp=d3aff709cac645b7aa675eb0a6c4d80a

The survey’s been running for a couple of weeks now, so we can look at GA to see how many people have completed the survey and what channel they arrived from. This is where we have a reporting problem.

To get the data I’m after, I go to the All Pages report and find the Success page URL. I then add a Secondary dimension to find which channel the visitor came from – the dimension I choose is Landing Page, as the visitor could only have landed via one of the ‘/youropinion’ URLs.

However, the report shows many other landing pages – pages that the visitor could not have accessed the Survey page from. These pages are hidden from site navigation and internal site search. I also tried Previous Page Path as a Secondary dimension but found the same issue.

GA issue.png

Isolating the ‘/youropinion’ URLS tells us that around 290 people completed the survey – however, we’ve actually received close to 400.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Anup

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anup P
February 2016

Re: Reporting innacuracy - Landing Page as a Secondary dimension

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Anup,

Well you've encountered what we see all the time.. users don't behave the way we expect Smiley Happy. As you can see there you have some that are going to your home page or stripping your params off etc.

However, where the big flaw happened was using the url strings in your landing pages. You should have used utm parameters and appended proper sources. You could then use goals and standard source medium reports and you would get proper attribution. In your case, if a user clicked through to take the survey and then stopped and came back later.... you would not have the information you need. With proper utm params, the source would have been preserved or available in multi-channel funnels. You can also embed the proper utm URL's into bitly or another link shortening service and then in turn use those URL's.

More on utm params here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anup P
February 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Anup,

Well you've encountered what we see all the time.. users don't behave the way we expect Smiley Happy. As you can see there you have some that are going to your home page or stripping your params off etc.

However, where the big flaw happened was using the url strings in your landing pages. You should have used utm parameters and appended proper sources. You could then use goals and standard source medium reports and you would get proper attribution. In your case, if a user clicked through to take the survey and then stopped and came back later.... you would not have the information you need. With proper utm params, the source would have been preserved or available in multi-channel funnels. You can also embed the proper utm URL's into bitly or another link shortening service and then in turn use those URL's.

More on utm params here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Excellent - many thanks for your help Theo. This makes a lot of sense.

Anup