Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reported site visits dramatically reduced

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is several months since I ran an analytics report on the site onsw.asn.au, so when I went to do one recently I noticed a few changes.

The most serious and puzzling change is that the numbers being reported are vastly different from what they were. For example the number of visits for August 2015 when I ran the report in September was 4.564. When I run the report now the number of sessions (aka visits) for August is only 378. Other statistics are likewise only a fraction of what were being reported previously.

Could someone please explain.

Re: Reported site visits dramatically reduced

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
So you ran reports for the same time-frame, but got vastly different results?
I would check to see if you have a filter or segment applied.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply
There are no filters in place and All Sessions are selected. Could it depend on whether users give  onsw.asn.au or www.onsw.asn.au as URL?
Here are some more comparative figures (I find it hard to believe the average session duration would be only half a minute)

Report generated September 2015

MonthVisitsUnique VisitorsNew VisitsPage viewsPages/VisitDurationBounce Rate
Jul-153,7131,6621,2447,2281.950:02:2360.57%
Aug-154,5641,9641,4518,9751.970:02:3858.83%

Report generated now (January 2016)

MonthSessionsUsersNew usersPage viewsPages / sessionAvg session durationBounce rate
Jul-157547467458001.060:00:3387.67%
Aug-153783463453871.020:00:3787.30%

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

As far as user lands on the website it should be tracked.

Have you enabled bot filtering in GA settings recently?

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Bot filtering is not enabled.
What I did have to do recently was to reconstruct the custom report because the previous one had disappeared. When I first logged on to do a report a few days ago, I believe the previous report was listed, though I may be imagining that. Anyway by the time I came to actually run the report it was not there. Apart from changes in GA terminology, the fields selected for the report are the same.
So there are no bot or other filters in place and no segments selected.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
These look like to different filtered views of historical data (Unique visitors aren't the same as Users and Sessions aren't the same as Visits). Use the exact same filtered view you had if you can. I would keep at it until the numbers match. Otherwise check your alerts to see if there were any changes that altered your reporting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So this "Visits are now referred to as Sessions everywhere in all of Google Analytics. " (https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAnalytics/posts/LCLgkyCn4Zi) is incorrect then?
As I said in an earlier post, I had to reconstruct the report because the original one mysteriously disappeared. The option to display visits is no longer offered so I have selected sessions instead.
I also note that for some months, the average duration is reported as 00:00:00, which is clearly nonsense.
If someone has the time, I'd be happy to give them access to have a look.