Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information
 
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Reported daily Adwords cost changes as date range is altered

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I have a question around how GA is handling reported Adwords cost as the date range is changed.

So I've put together a quick custom report to demonstrate what I am seeing. If I set the date range to a single date (13th December 2016 in this scenario) then the cost from Adwords is $210.56

 

2017-01-06_1055

 

If I now extend the date range keeping all other settings the same, then the daily cost for 13th December decreases to $209.09. Note that the data sample is still at 100% of sessions and that the impressions remains the same at 6,353. The clicks are also the same (although this isn't shown in the screenshot):

 

2017-01-06_1059

The further I extend the date range, the more the daily cost changes - in this case it has now increased to $220.61. Again note that impressions are still the same and we are still at 100% of sessions on the data sampling.

 

2017-01-06_1104

 

Anyone able to shed any light on what is happening here? Initially I thought it may be a data sampling issue, but the impressions field doesn't seem to be being sampled and this arguably contains the same or more amount of data as the cost field? I'd really like to understand this and be able to explain it.

Kind regards, H

P.S. Apologies if I have posted this twice. I had issues the first time.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Reported daily Adwords cost changes as date range is altered

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Harry,

 

Sampling would be my first guess, although as you point out, sampling is not indicated.

 

Do you see the same behavior when using the default AdWords report under Acquisition?

 

Best,

 

Theo Bennett

 

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Reported daily Adwords cost changes as date range is altered

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo - thanks for your response. In a word - yes I see the same behaviour. Screenshots below:

1 day view: http://content.screencast.com/users/HL82/folders/Jing/media/aef67402-cd59-40e9-bee3-3d129c377c6c/201...

1 year view: http://content.screencast.com/users/HL82/folders/Jing/media/5d9097fc-bf67-4901-9733-e8f848423524/201...

Kind regards, H

Reported daily Adwords cost changes as date range is altered

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Apologies - I provided the wrong link for the 1 year view. This is the correct link http://www.screencast.com/t/Px8P7cOhGaF

Reported daily Adwords cost changes as date range is altered

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In case anyone finds this thread with a similar issue in the future, I have just been on the phone with someone from AdWords/Google Analytics. They beleive that the issue is related to the fact that the AdWords account is in £GBP and the GA accunt was reporting in $USD. There is some currency conversion that takes place when this is the case and somehow this conversion  and the rounding up/down that takes place may have caused this.

I'm going to update the GA settings to match the AdWords currency now and hopefully that fixes the issue.

Reported daily Adwords cost changes as date range is altered

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hey James,

 

Thanks for updating.  I was wondering if it might be a time based setting rather than currency; that is the time that your GA account is set to for processing vs. AdWords.

 

Please report back either way!

 

Best,

 

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn