AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referrer report is empty

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

We have a website attracting 15,000-20,000 visitors per day; however, when I look at the referrer report, there are none.  This is in-spite of me setting up a separate test website that points to our website and following the link.  I can use http traffic analysers that allow me to see the data being sent to Google Analytics and I can see the referrer URL being sent - but it seems to be completely ignored by GA.

We have a couple of other properties/views where referrer information is captured; apart from the URLs, the views are the same.

We haven't done any particular customisations of the reports.

Does anyone know of any reason why this might be happening? 

thanks

Kris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referrer report is empty

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Kris,

Does all of the traffic come from this other site? Has this site been added to the ignored referral list? If so this would change it to direct, unless cross domain tracking is set up.

Is is possible the traffic is being redirected and campaign information is being used? (utm paramaters or set in the analytics tracking code).

Other possibilities include that you are looking in a view that has been designed (filtered) to only include other types of traffic. (paid, organic, social, etc)

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn