Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referrals from cdn.ampproject.org

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've recently implemented AMP pages.  When I look at acquisition channels, cdn.ampproject.org is now the leading source in the 'Referral' channel.  Shouldn't these referrals be showing up as 'Google' under 'Organic Search'?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Michael, 

If I'm correct, SEM Post recently did an article about this issue. They quoted AMP lead Malte Ubl who said "Working on a direct path from AMP pages loaded from Google Search to the canonical & sharing will use the canonical if technically possible." 

To ignore the possible issue you could use 'referral exclusions' to tell Analytics to ignorecdn.ampproject.org as a referring domain. Google has a great article on how to implement Referral Exclusions here:  "https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830

Let me know if this solves you problem! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh,

I don't want to exclude referrals from cdn.ampproject.org.  I want them to be properly categorized so that I have an accurate understanding of my acquisition traffic.

I can't quite figure out why it's showing up as a referrer, since cdn.ampproject.org is a CDN, not a website from which someone clicked through to my site.  Because of this I'm assuming referrals from cdn.ampproject.org is more of a bug.

If it's a referral from a Google search result, then ideally it'd be categorized under 'Google / Organic Search', not 'Referral / cdn.ampproject.org'.  Hopefully someone from Google will read this and file a bug. Or instruct us on why we're seeing this new source in the Referral channel.

Has anyone else with AMP pages found cdn.ampproject.org show up as a source in the Referral channel lately?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep I'm seeing the same thing here--assuming it's directly from our AMP pages since it correlates with viewers on those pages with /AMP at the end of the URL.

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yep, and quite a lot here, and this looks like real traffic with conversion rates etc.

will enjoy have some updates on this

thanks for digging up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, was there ever any insight here around why the source was appearing as cdn.ampproject.org instead of google?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stasha,

I still have yet to figure out why that's happening.  I still see a large number of referrals from cdn.ampproject.org.  

Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.  Let me know if you find out anything or figure out how we can escalate this issue to someone within Google. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michael,

Congratulations for implementing AMP!

'cdn.ampproject.org' shows as a source when users are coming from your AMP to your (mobile) website, landed on the AMP via Google search.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rishi,

The majority of the time the AMP source is coming in as "google", but "cdn.ampproject.org" only shows up occasionally. Any idea what are the criteria for it showing up as "cdn.ampproject.org" instead of "google"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rishi,

What you're saying makes sense. It seems like it's artificially inflating referrals since the 1st pageview will have a source of Google / Organic Search and then if the user clicks through to my site (to a non-amp page) the 2nd pageview will have a source of Referral / cdn.ampproject.org.  That feels like a bug to me but I'm not really sure what I can do? I've marked your response as the solution to my question. Thank you!