Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral path shows (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Everyone!

So I am having a lot of trouble figuring out this issue.

I have this campaign running which has the following utm parameters:

• utm_source
  • utm_medium
  • utm_content
  • utm_campaign

When I try checking traffic details for specific sources (utm_source) under Acquisition --> All Traffic --> Channels

The referral path under secondary dimension (Acquisition) shows (not set) for the source codes.

Could you please give me a work around for this since the information is important in order to make conclusive decisions regarding the campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral path shows (not set)

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Sohraab J,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Sohraab J,

I reached out to our tech support team and these were their initial recommendations:

Use auto-tagging (gclid parameter) instead of manual tags. Here is a list of benefits of using auto-tagging:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663?hl=en

Additionally, the referral path dimension is defined as "The URIs that referred traffic." It is expected that this dimension is (not set) when coming from a secure site (https) like Google. We would suggest here to use the full referrer dimension "The URLs that referred traffic".

Hopefully this helps. Anything further would require more account specific information.

Thanks,

Krisha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Krisha,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess auto tagging can only be used for google adwords. Unfortunately the ad is running on reddit.com and I am not sure if I can use any parameter other than utm tags?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did someone find a solution to this?

Referral path shows (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also facing the same issues, can someone please look into this.

I am running free campaigns not any ads, just sharing the link with my communities and wanted to track from where which websites/blogs/social the traffic is coming?