Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral path shows (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello! Any idea why (not set) is displaying in my Referral Path list? This is always associated with the highest Pageview in each report. Also, what does (not set) mean? I cannot find a firm answer to this question anywhere. Thanks.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Rob,

When you would see not set for true referrals should be few and far between and may be an indication of spam traffic.  However, if you are pulling in referral path as a secondary dimensions where there is no referral, then I would expect to see it (e.g. on Source/medium report).

Not set means exactly that, there is no value set.  It's commonly used in GA rather than just omitting the data from a report and let's you see the other "slices of the pie".

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot for the reply, Theo. I actually ran the report with the secondary dimension as Source / Medium and I do not see any instances of not set. And the numbers presented seem more realistic than what I was pulling from Full Referrer and Referral Path.

Basically, I am trying to identify how many users are coming to my second level pages from the main navigation of the index page. Source / Medium lists my homepage URL / referral and direct / none. 

Would my homepage / referral be the number of pageviews coming from the main navigation? Or would it be from direct / none ?

To me, direct / none sounds like a user would come to the page directly, however, that does not seem right as the URL is to user friendly to input. 

Any idea?

Thanks again.

Rob

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Rob,

You should have a consistent Google Analytics tracking code on all pages of the users journey.  It sounds like you do not have the code on your home page as you should not see referrals from this page.  You may want to go to the Chrome store and look for Google Tag Assistant to help you locate and issues with the tracking code.

direct / none means that the visitor did not have an http referrer and is commonly attributed to a visitor coming to your site by directly typing in your URL; however, there are many other users that could fall into this bucket e.g. some referrals from a secure to non secure site.

Hope that helps...

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

I can confirm that I have GA tracking code on my home page. Could you suggest a report that would help me identify the number of users coming to the pages listed on my main navigation? Basically need to know who is coming to pages listed on the main navigation from the home page. 

Thanks again.

Rob

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob P
March

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Rob,

Behavior>>Site Content>> All Pages

You can also use the Navigation Summary tab on that report to see previous and next pages.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn