Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral data for utm-tagged traffic in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to retrieve the actual referral data for traffic that lands to my website and has utm parameters.

The reason why I need that is because my system uses "utm_source" to distinguish between traffic sources for internal reporting (like affiliate networks for example) but those traffic sources are sending me traffic from a network of publishers and I need to have that referral data.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Referral data for utm-tagged traffic in Google Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium

Or you can click on the tab which says source and you should be able to pick out the source you need.

Thanks,

A

Re: Referral data for utm-tagged traffic in Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Andrei I - you could send the referrer (the full one) with the GA code itself - simply create a session level custom dimension and fill it with document.referrer each time document.referrer hostname and page hostname do not match. 

There are ways to do it with view filters but it is a bit tricky to report subsequently as each hit will hold the info:

Screenshot_30.png

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net