Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Traffic from Google?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed the last week that I started receiving an influx of referral traffic from Google. I've never seen Google as a referral source. The referral path comes up as /searchurl/r.html which doesn't seem to load anything. Has anyone else ever seen this or can explain what this traffic is?

Re: Referral Traffic from Google?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
I have seen referral traffic from Google in past on my website. Here is Google's view @ https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1011811?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

you can also add e.g. "full referral path" as a second dimension to "google.com / referral". As a result, you are able to see full referrals like "google.com/webmasters/tools/home" which gives you some more information about the traffic.

Bye. Nils.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Right, and the paths come up as google.com/searchurl/r.html, google.com/url, or even google.com/. Any idea what these are? Like I said, had never seen this before until last week. It's all good traffic (not bouncing, high conversion rates) but just curious what changed.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Iliana C,
According to Google if referral is coming from Google that means it may coming from a variety of sources, including Google Groups posts, or static pages on related Google sites.

As you mentioned those traffic have high conversion rate that is really good.

***In countries where the "old" image search is still used (like Germany) - it is counted as Referral traffic rather than search traffic (not sure why). You could check in Webmastertools what your % of image search is (and compare January & February)

You could also try to check the landing pages report for this referral traffic and compare this with the landingpages in Acquisition >Search Engine Optimisation > Landingpages with secondary dimension "Google Property"***

Thanks