Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusions Not Working Post Domain Migration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We had a site migration some months back. I've updated both the default URL and the referral exclusion list, but I'm still seeing 60-80% of my referral traffic coming from the new default URL. Any help on fixing this would be appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gitai B
December 2015

Re: Referral Exclusions Not Working Post Domain Migration

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Gitai,

Did you add the domain to the referral exclusion list immediately when you migrated the site? If not, returning users who had their traffic source set to your domain will still have that source set when they come back as direct. Please check if the self referrals are returning users. It depends on your session setting how long you'll see these self referrals, check your session settings in Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to 3 months it will take 3 months for the self referrals to disappear. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Gitai,

Are you using Universal Analytics (analytics.js)? Did you include the whole domain in your referral-exclusion list? Are there any subdomains used under your domain?

Christoph
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gitai B
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Gitai,

Did you add the domain to the referral exclusion list immediately when you migrated the site? If not, returning users who had their traffic source set to your domain will still have that source set when they come back as direct. Please check if the self referrals are returning users. It depends on your session setting how long you'll see these self referrals, check your session settings in Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to 3 months it will take 3 months for the self referrals to disappear. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Alas, the migration occurred before I was brought on, so I added the exclusion quite recently. I'll check with the marketing manager to see if we can shorten the six months down to three and maybe shorten our bad reporting.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Arnold, good point - thanks for that. Christoph