Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusion List Does Not Work

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

from: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Reports/Referral-Exclusion-List-Does-Not-Work/m-p/478646#M...

it says: The problem of checking the data with new visits and return visits is that if the domain is the payment processor (e.g. paypal), the visits from the domain is always 100% as return visits before and after. So it wouldn't help to confirm the exclusion list is working or not. And this is a common problem for ecommerce site GA implementation.

Can someone please elaborate why << the visits from the domain is always 100% as return visits before and after>> ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral Exclusion List Does Not Work

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you do not have the Referral Exclusion List entry for your payment processor, then the visitor:
- lands on your site from source A, and starts a new session
- goes to the payment processor pages
- lands on your site with a referral from the payment processor, starting a new (return) session.
Therefore the visitor has 2 sessions, 1 of which is a returning visit.

If you DO have the entry in the REL, then the visitor:
- lands on your site from source A, and starts a new session
- goes to the payment processor pages
- lands on your site with a referral from the payment processor, but the REL forces GA to look for a previous session for that user and joins the visit to the previous session
Therefore the visitor has 1 session from Source A.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Referral Exclusion List Does Not Work

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike.
Although I knew about session handling your explanation made it clear for the visits.