Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusion List Does Not Work

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by Johnathan Romero (Rising Star)

Question: Hello clever people Smiley Happy I have an issue with self referrals that have been bothering me for quite some time.

I have checked that the UA code is correctly implemented everywhere. I have all domains that are cross linking added to the Referral Exclusions List and it does not fix the problem.

I have done some digging in analytics and found that the referrals are coming from multiple different URLs on my site, but I cannot figure out where to go from here. Please help! Thanks in advance, Steffen

Answer: Thanks for the question! Referral exclusion list doesn't work for traffic that is already cookied.  i.e. if they had a referral source before you added it to the list, and came back via direct, they will still be that referral source.  you can check by segmenting on % new visits, should be 0% for your excluded source after the time you added to list.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral Exclusion List Does Not Work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The problem of checking the data with new visits and return visits is that if the domain is the payment processor (e.g. paypal), the visits from the domain is always 100% as return visits before and after. So it wouldn't help to confirm the exclusion list is working or not. And this is a common problem for ecommerce site GA implementation.

Re: Referral Exclusion List Does Not Work

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please elaborate why << the visits from the domain is always 100% as return visits before and after>> ?