Analytics
3.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Redundant Hostname : don't quite get it....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

On our main site, we are getting a warning about redundant hostnames ie

xyz.com

www.xyz.com

leading to a split in the pageviews depending on which version of the domain was used.

I understand this, but wanted to test it further, so on my own test site (nothing to do with my company) I tried accessing

zyx.com

and 

www.zyx.com

I don't get that error, and if I create a custom report showing pageviews by page, I don't see the same page appearing in two rows, even if I access the pages with 'www' and in another browser without 'www'.

(Admittedly, I ran this test earlier, and looked at the report just now, but it is picking up the new pageviews as the totals have gone up, so I am happy I am picking up the new data)

What am I missing? Does redundnant hostnames only affect links from other sites or Google itself (rather than me just typing the url in the browser)?

Or is it something else?

Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Redundant Hostname : don't quite get it....

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Arnold,

Google sees the www and the non www version as two different sites. If you check the hostname in the reports you'll see that you're receiving traffic to both versions. You need to set your preferred version for Google so it will index the version you want. You also need to 301 redirect the other version to your preferred version for other search engines. Please check the document below:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/44231?hl=en
Hope it helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Which reports? If I create a custom report that simply uses page title or page as a dimension, both pageviews to be aggregated into a single row, so I can't see where the problem lies.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please select hostname as the secondary dimension.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital