Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reduction in hits due to bots?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

As recommended, I have left the default 'All Web Site Data' untouched so it tracks all activity, and created a User View - which is filtered by our hostname and has the 'exclude bots' option ticked.

However, comparing the two views for a period shows a huge difference (over 50% less users / pageviews in the User View).

I know this is not impossible, but would like to prove it,

I can show how many are eliminated from the User View due to the hostname by reporting on all All Web Site Data by hostname - I can see a small amount accounted for here.

However, is there any way of showing how many pageviews / users coming to All Web Site Data are considered to be from bots - for example a dimension I can use in a report?

It would be nice to see this figure to prove it accounts for the large difference between All Web Site Data and User View and it is not just that I have screwed up the User View in some other way.

Thanks

Re: Reduction in hits due to bots?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
To my knowledge I am not sure if this is possible.

Your best bet would probably be to look at referral traffic and see if you can identify any bots coming through here on your unfiltered view. That where is usually see the bulk of my spam traffic

Thanks
Funmi