Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reason for data discrpencies - unique pageviews per landing page v.s. page path

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi I have a dashboard with two tables:

• listing of the "pages" dimension by unique page views metric.
  • listing of the "landing pages" dimension of the unique page views metric.

Capture.PNG

Note: both tables have a hostname filter set to the same domain and

a second filter discarding traffic to the "/adv" folder which has advertising landing pages.

I was surprised that the main page (path= /) got 2 or 3 times unique pages views as a landing page than as a page path. Any suggestions why the numbers are not correlated?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reason for data discrpencies - unique pageviews per landing page v.s. page path

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
It coincides with your bounce rate perhaps.

Re: Reason for data discrpencies - unique pageviews per landing page v.s. page path

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
You should try grouping the root page with the actual home page, that way if someone just enters your URL as http://www.mysite.com or http://www.mysite.com/default.html they will both be recorded as the same page and your metrics will be more inline with reality. Since most people do not know what the deafult page is for a site (it can be set to any page) they are most apt to just use the URL. This would give you more unique page views as a landing page on / because most programmers will use the full path (./default.html) to reference a user back to the home page.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Hoang P

bounce rate is the same, so it does not help explain the issue !

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Brian B

I suppose you mean to rename the default URL as / using a view filter. However, the default URL for this site is the root page. So this does not appear to be the issue.