Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Reason for a Drastic Change in Bounce Rate and Back?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Might you guys know why our bounce rate would go from 55% to 6.5% for a month and then back to 55%?

We have done minor tweaks to the site over the past few months, but nothing major.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 10.09.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 10.08.43 AM.png

Thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Ryan M,

There are many reasons that can cause this. One of the most common reason is having multiple Google Analytics tracking code (or GA pageview command) on your pages. Another common reason is that there might be an interaction event that triggers automatically when user lands on the page.

It is not possible to tell the exact reason without knowing the implementation changes(of GTM changes if you are using) on your website.

I hope this helps

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Güney - I'll keep looking around and see if I see what might have changed in June.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You're welcome and I'm happy to help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ryan,

Adding to @Güney K points, the interaction event  he is taking about also includes page reloads. Sometime when we start rendering contents on our pages, page reloads, which leads to extremely lower bounce rates.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could Google Optimize be doing that?

I have a GO test running on one page, but put the anti-flicker code on all pages. When I go to certain pages I sometimes still see a flicker (even though the code is there AND it just ends up being the same page).