Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Real Time > Top Keywords suddenly displaying encoded characters in keywords [screenshot]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure if this issue is Analytics related, or it to do with my website. Recently,  instead of a white-space separating words in the Real Time keyword table, the special character is displayed instead. E.g instead of "flower delivery", it's "flower%20delivery". I'm concerned this may affect reporting in Analytics, Webmaster Tools, and potentially Adwords. (the red blocks are for privacy purposes)Untitled.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Real Time > Top Keywords suddenly displaying encoded characters in keywords [screenshot]

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

just to make sure: You can see these encoded keywords outside the Real time report too?

Have you made any changes recently in AdWords side?
Do you use Auto-Tagging and have you checked that does these keywords relate to certain campaign/group/etc...
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Re: Real Time > Top Keywords suddenly displaying encoded characters in keywords [screenshot]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I pulled up yesterday's Acq > Campaign > Organic Keywords report and do not see those encoded characters in any of the keywords, so maybe this isn't something to worry about.

As a side note, and this is beyond the scope of GA- this whitespace/ character encoding issue was affecting a "Thank You" page where the customer's purchase info was being retrieved from the URL and echo'ed with PHP in the page. For example, it used to say "John Smith, your purchase...", then last week I started seeing "John%20Smith, your purchase..." so I had to fix that with javascript.