Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Question on Landing Page sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

so I'm looking at my landing page report (Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages), setting Source as Secondary Dimension, and I'm noticing a lot of these sources don't actually link to said landing page. 

For example, site A links to my website, but not specifically to Landing Page. Still, Google Analytics list site A as a source for Landing Page.

How is that possible? I'm very confused by this. Isn't the landing page report supposed to show the first page the visitor visits?

Then how can this sites be listed as sources for landing pages they don't directly link to? The visitor would have had to taken steps between leaving the source website and landing on the landing page.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question on Landing Page sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Anyone?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Robert v Smiley Happy

Welcome to the community.

I suggest that you post the question in "Google Analytics" section under "Advertiser Communities" as you can see on your left. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It is possible that they came from the source and landed elsewhere, then returned direct to a different landing page. Google's last non-direct attribution would assign the original source to the second visit, making it appear to have come from the original source and landed on a different page.

If they made a conversion in the second visit, it would get attributed to the original source...that's why GA does the odd attribution.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.