Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Question on Landing Page Sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

so I'm looking at my landing page report (Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages), setting Source as Secondary Dimension, and I'm noticing a lot of these sources don't actually link to said landing page. 

For example, site A links to my website, but not specifically to Landing Page. Still, Google Analytics list site A as a source for Landing Page.

How is that possible? I'm very confused by this. Isn't the landing page report supposed to show the first page the visitor visits?

Then how can this sites be listed as sources for landing pages they don't directly link to? The visitor would have had to taken steps between leaving the source website and landing on the landing page.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question on Landing Page Sources

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Robert,

instead of using source as dimension try using Full referrer for more info.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response Zorin, but when I use Full Referrer, it´s the same story. It lists pages that don´t link directly to that specific landing page.

The annoying thing is that this makes me feel like some of the traffic it lists as Google traffic didn't actually land on that page either, and it's skewing my reports. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Robert,

this can always be a case of referral spam where indeed no user has been on the LP yet a hit was swnt using measurement protocol - please refer to this article in order to establish if this is really the case: http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/12/removing-referral-spam-google-analytics/

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Zorin,

I don't think it's spam. The domains it lists are valid hostnames and they do link to my site. They just don't link directly to my landing page. So the visitor would've had to take additional steps between leaving the referral page and entering the landing page.

There's no way they could've gone straight from referral page to the landing page, but that's what the reports say for several referrers, which is quite confusing.