Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Question about referral traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We have two sites xyz.com and xyz.in. When i saw the referral traffic for xyz.in, most of the referral traffic comes from xyz.com

What can i do so that this type of traffic does not comes under referral traffic and why this is happening

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jackspwter
April 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The easiest way would be to add the site to the referral exclusion list that way traffic from that domain should appear under direct. You can access the exclusion list under property settings.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are linking from xyz.com to xyz.in then the traffic will appear as a referrer because thats where the traffic was referred from. 

How do you treat the web properties? Do you want to retain the same sessions for both site or treat them as seperate sites.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adam.

We would to treat them as separate sites.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are going to treat them as two separate websites where one refers traffic to the other then this is normal to see the traffic appear under referral.

You can redefine your channel settings or referral exclusion list so the traffic appears as direct but it really depends on how you wish to report on this traffic.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adam for your answer.

Let;s say we would like to redefine channel settings to show this type of traffic as Direct, what's the process. Can give any helpful link so that we can go about this task without any fuss.

Thanks and appreciated your help.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jackspwter
April 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The easiest way would be to add the site to the referral exclusion list that way traffic from that domain should appear under direct. You can access the exclusion list under property settings.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adam. That perfectly answers my query.