Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Question about customized reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Google users,

Today I noticed the original help forum has moved here and some parts of the new site don't work properly yet. I get errors halve of the time. Also I seem to miss the Dutch community forum. Is there still being worked on?

Anyways.. my questions:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, or I should have posted it at tracking goals, but lets try. I have various customized reports in my Analytics account. I am struggling with customzing them to give me the proper customized reports. For some reason I can not understand what I am doing wrong. Please let met try to explain:

1) I am tracking different campaign sources and the amount of visitors and orders. I am having statistics groups: pageviews, orders, product revenue

Below I have dimension details: campaign, source/medium, transaction id and date.

I have a filter to disclose anything with (not set) in it.

This works fine, I get all the campaign sources and amount of pageviews sorted out. Also product revenue is showing.

2) I am tracking different social media channels and the amount of vistors and orders these generated. I have the same statistics groups and dimension details, only instead of campaign i am tracking social network source. I also filter everything with (not set) in it. This works also fine.

Here is the problem, which seems to originate in the "filters" section.

Applying 1 filter works fine, applying 2 filters makes things go wrong. I want to disclose everything with campaign or social network set on (not set). Since this information is not relevant to me. Than I want to apply a second filter that excludes all transaction-id's with a certain reference number in it, to view different productgroups apart from eachother. Applying these filters together makes my analytics lose all the data and showing me a broken report. It does not seem to be able to have both filters enabled. I will either lose all data or the sources or amount of orders. It will sometimes show the product revenue, but the revenue is not linked to the amount of orders. It sais near orders: 0. But if I click on the campaign, I can see transaction id's and such. How can there be revenue without any orders?

How do I fix this filter problem? Hope I explained well. I can provide screenshots but my Analytics is in Dutch, so I waited with that a bit.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about customized reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Aless,

unfortunately, there is no Dutch AdWords or Analytics forum to date. But don't worry - we get the point.

Indeed, it would be beneficial to post a screenshot of your report definition for us. You might change the "hl=nl" parameter in your browser into "hl=en" - then we see everything in English.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the tip!

Okay I have a lot of reports, so I am just giving you 2 examples:

- Tracking campaign source

Settings 1:

page1 campaign source settings.png

Give me report:

page1 campaign source.png

(works good)

Settings 2:

page1 campaign source settings2.png

Give me report:

page1 campaign source2.png

(doesn't work properly anymore)

- Tracking social network source

Settings 1:

page2 social source settings.png

Give me report:

page2 social source.png

(works good)

Settings 2:

page2 social source settings2.png

Give me report:

page2 social source2.png

(doesn't work proply anymore either)

I hope this helps a bit.

As you can see there is revenue showing, but no linked to transaction numbers. Information is missing. I have blurred the actual privacy-related numbers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Geez, this site is extremely buggy. I can not see my images or edit my post. I hope you can work this out. It gives me nothing but errors or is just failing all apart.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Aless,

there are a lot of dimension-metrics combinations in Analytics that aren't allowed, e.g. session-related metrics (like session) for a combination of session-related dimensions (like campaign) + transaction-related dimensions (like transaction ID). Try that in "All Campaigns" report with Transaction ID as secondary dimension.

There is a tool actually that pretends to show the valid combination [1] - but I doubt the tool is working properly in recent times ...

Christoph

[1] https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm sorry but I am afraid I don't understand your explanation. Could you give me a simple variant? Smiley Happy

I'm just curious why applying a second filter is messing my stats up. I am not changing any of the metrics or dimensions.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
It's a matter of data storage and computing power. Some combinations of data aren't allowed because it would cost to much computing power to analyze it.

So my recommendation is: First try with simpler sets of dimensions if it works so far, and than add another dimension or metric.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Webfield,

I already tried that, ofcourse. But the "bug" seems to be in certain filters, no matter the combination of metrics/dimensions.

I also tried just putting the basic stats against created segments, but the same "failure" occurs, getting zero's where there should be numbers of pageviews or amount of orders.

Is this something worth reporting to Google and if so, how ? There is no feedback button.